Answers to Frequently Asked Questions


  1. What constitutes a Business Justification?
    A summary on what constitutes an appropriate business justification can be found on the Rutgers University Business Purpose Required on Every Purchase or Reimbursement page.
  2. What can I request a Travel Advance for?
    See, click on University Travel Policy on Left Column and Section 40.4.1. Scroll down to section "H"- "Forms of Payment for Travel and Business Expenses". Policy details explained in this section.
  3. What are the rules and regulations concerning hiring professional services (formerly referred to as consultants)?

    Go to Purchasing Professional Services for details regarding payments to a professional service provider. Please note that you must use a regular purchase order, not a "Quick" order for this type of payment.

    Also, see the following links for specific details and examples:

  4. How do I find details for the telephone charges that hit my account before VoIP was implemented?

    There are three sources to find the breakdown of telephone services paid.

    1. Report View - Landline charges for service and toll charges (TE references found in FACS and in Discoverer Reports).
    2. RIAS - Nextel, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless charges are done as Quick Orders. Therefore, to review the details of these charges, it is necessary to view the original document in RIAS.
    3. Invoice - "Hard" copies of AT&T (formerly Cingular) charges are billed monthly by Susan Burr. These reports are distributed to the departments by the Business Office.
    4. Call your Business Office accountant for a copy of the telephone report for Landline charges for service and toll charges (VP references found in FACS and in Discoverer Reports).
  5. How do I get access to RIAS?
    Go to the RIAS Forms page and download the RIAS application. Upon completion, forward the form to Lucy Kwiecinski in the business office.
  6. How do I get access to FACS?
    By requesting FACS access, a department chair or center director is acknowledging that the individual has been granted the authority to spend the department's money. Please contact Donna Guadagno for further information.
  7. What natural account should be used for equipment purchases?

    If an item is over $5,000 and charged to a 4-xxxxx account, use 72600.

    If an item is over $5,000 and charged to a non- 4-xxxxx account, use 71000.

    If an item is over $5,000 and charged to a 7-7xxxx account, use 75000.

    If an item is less than $5,000 and has a useful life of more than 1 year, use natural account 22400, regardless of the fund source.

  8. How do I establish a Petty Cash Fund? What are the restrictions for my petty cash fund?
  9. Where can I find more helpful hints on commitment accounting and self-service issues?
  10. How do I go about disposing of a vehicle?

    See Disposals on the University Accounting website.

Cash Transmittals

  1. Where can I find the cash transmittal template?
    The cash transmittal template is available on the RIAS Forms page.
  2. How do I prepare a cash transmittal?
    • The Cash transmittal form can be downloaded from the RIAS Forms Repository under "Other".
    • The C# should be written in the "Cross reference" field which is next to the Amount column.
    • Keep a copy for the department files. If cash transmittals are printed locally, only send 3 copies to the Business Office. Keep the fourth copy for the department files.
    • Cash transmittals will not be reflected in FACS reports until they are approved by the accountant in the Business Office.
    • The same information that is needed on the hard copy is required for FACS.
      • The "DEPT REF NO" allows you 8 spaces to enter any internal tracking number you may utilize in your department. This is not a required field.
      • The date defaults to the current date, no need to change.
      • The "MULTI DEPT" field works the same as all other FACS documents. It defaults to "N" and only needs to be changed to a "Y" if you are using an account that does not belong to the department you logged into.
      • Complete the "COMPOSITION OF DEPOSIT" section as it appears on the hard copy of the cash transmittal. This is a required field.
      • Complete the "NATURE OF DEPOSIT" section as it appears on the hard copy of the cash transmittal. This is a required field.
      • The final section allows you to enter the account, natural account, department activity 2 (subcode), department activity 1 (project) and amount. This follows the same format used for other FACS documents.
      • For those of you who need to "debit" an income code, the "D" column should be filled in as you would on the hard copy.
    • Once completed forward to the Business Office.
  3. What documentation should I include on the transmittal to help with processing?

    You will need to include the following documentation for each of the following cash transmittals:

    • If the cash transmittal is for expense reimbursement, please attach a copy of the purchase order, indicating the fund source originally charged. The natural account 8810 should be used.
    • If cash transmittal consists of credit card deposits, please include the original credit card receipt.
    • Please include calculator tape if more than one check is being deposited.
  4. I entered my cash transmittal into FACS. When will I see the income on my fund source in FACS?
    Cash transmittals will not be reflected in FACS reports until they are approved by the accountant in the Business Office.
  5. How many copies of the cash transmittal should I keep in my department? How many copies of the cash transmittal does the business office need in order to process my cash transmittal?
    Keep 1 copy of the cash transmittal for the department files. If cash transmittals are printed locally, only send 3 copies to the Business Office (Check: 1 original 3 copies; Credit Cards: 1 original and 2 copies).
  6. Do I send cash deposits to the business office?
    No you do not send it to the business office, please review the Treasury website. Please read both the "Cash & Checks Management Policies"" section and the "Cash and Check Handling Procedures" or policy Section: 40.2.8.
  7. How should I process checks that are received in the form of a donation?
    • Prepare a cash transmittal as usual HOWEVER
    • This cash transmittal is not entered into FACS, however a copy of the transmittal should be sent along with the check to the business office.
    • As customary forward to business office accountant for review and he/she will forward to appropriate office.
  8. What do I do if a check is not payable to Rutgers?
    • Prepare a cash transmittal as usual.
    • Payee must endorse the check (whoever the check is written out to).
    • Then stamp the back of the check with the departmental stamp
    • Forward to the business office after entering in FACS for processing.

Check Requests

  1. How do I prepare a check request?
    See the Check Request Tutorial (951k PDF).
  2. When should I use a check request?
    See When Should I Use a Check Request (PDF) on the University Accounting website.
  3. Can I use a check request to wire transfer funds for payment to a vendor?
    Yes, you can. You can use a check request, purchase order, or TABER for wire requests. See the Wire Transfer Form on the University Accounting website.
  4. What additional information is needed for a wire transfer request?

    Documents needed for a wire transfer:

    • Copy of approved purchase order (not the requisition out of RIAS, but the actual PO) (PO only)
    • When it's a check request, indicate on the description "wire transfer"
    • An email directly from the vendor requesting payment for this amount, and listing all of their banking information.
    • A copy of the invoice and quote that you attached.
    • Wire transfer form signed by the department.
    • When transferring to any European Economic Area (EEA) via wire payment it is required to include the full International Bank Account Number (49k PDF).
  5. Can I have a check drawn on foreign (non-U.S. Dollar) currency?

    For information on foreign currency transactions, see Foreign Drafts on the University Accounting website.

Commitment Accounting

  1. Why does my payroll continue to be charged to my default (suspense) account even after I have updated my charging instructions in the employee charging instructions module?
    Under the Earnings Distribution section of the employee charging instructions menu, go to the Combination Code Tab and verify that either the 'Funding End Date' field is blank or has a future date. If there is a date in this field and it is less than the current date, the charging instructions will be ignored because the account has "expired". Then the payroll will post to the default account with suspense natural account 1699. We have seen this occur even on non-grant accounts so you should always verify this field.
  2. How can I create new charging instructions for personnel in my department?
  3. Can I go back to a prior pay cycle and change the charging instructions for an individual?

    You can change the charging instructions for a salary employee only for the transactions that may have been processed on a employee charging instructions table by selecting a combination code on the employee charging instructions table. Your current Business Office Fund Approver (for Requisitions, TABERs, JEs, etc.) will also now be your approver for all payroll charging instruction changes. We will only accept commitment accounting changes for state and federal accounts for their respective current fiscal years.

    Regardless of the funding source, we expect that all changes will be made within 90 days.

  4. How do I remove an employee record that was created in error?
    EMPLOYEE RECORDS CANNOT BE REMOVED FROM THE SYSTEM. However, erroneous records can be terminated by submitting a termination request and attaching a brief word document explaining the reason for the termination of the record and emphasizing that the employee is active and is to remain active under the new record number.
  5. How soon will my charging instructions go into effect after I have created them?
    Generally, charging instructions will be uploaded to the general ledger two to three times a week.
  6. What report would list my department's default account?
    Within Discoverer View, if you have access to the HR Data Warehouse go to the HRDW worksheet list and select the workbook named 'DW-HR 1699 Suspense Audit'. This report can be run by Fund Source/Org ID or by Employee. This will only display data IF there are charges that went to suspense. For now, since we don't have a listing of all default accounts, you could also go to the 'DW-HR Appointment Level Charging Instructions' report which display whether someone's instructions are using a DEPARTMENT or ASSIGNMENT level charging instruction.
  7. How do I prepare a SWRJ?
    See the SWRJ Tutorial (985k PDF).
  8. How can I remove bonus pay from a fund source?
    See the Removing Bonus Pay Tutorial (214k PDF).
  9. How do I calculate my salary reallocation?
    Use the Salary Adjustment Calculation Template (26k Excel file).


  1. How do I correct an unmatched actual that references a prior year purchase order that is closed?
    Contact the business office and we will enter the document into FACS and match it up.

Fund Sources

  1. What are the different types of fund groups?
    See the Fund Sources Tutorial (226k PDF).
  2. What is included in a fund source string?
    See the Fund Sources Tutorial (226k PDF).
  3. Why is department activity 1 (project) important to include in a fund source string?
    See the Fund Sources Tutorial (226k PDF).
  4. My department just received a new grant/fund source. How do I obtain a project number?

    Contact the NJAES office of research at the following link:

  5. How do I determine which natural account is appropriate for my type of expense/income?

Grants, Contracts, and Sundry Funds

  1. How can I spend on a grant before the paperwork is signed?
    You can utilize the Institutional Prior Approval System (IPAS) to request an account number. Information and the form can be found at A letter of intent or documentation showing that the grant has be awarded is needed as well.
  2. When purchasing equipment, what natural account should be used?

    If an item is over $5,000 and charged to a grant account (4-xxxxx), use natural account 72600.

    If an item is less than $5,000 and has a useful life of more than one year, use natural account 22400.

  3. What natural accounts should be used when purchasing supplies?

    21000 - Supplies-other
    Consumable items of supply not specifically chargeable to any other supply natural accounts listed below.

    21200 - Computer supplier
    Consumable items such as computer paper, printer cartridges and miscellaneous computer accessories.

    21400 - Educational supplies
    Consumable items required to support training, teaching or other sponsored programs. Generally items such as: books, periodicals, pads, pencils, pens, laser pointers, teaching aids, etc. other than general office supplies

    21500 - Chemical and laboratory supplies
    Scientific supplies used in research programs and in tests, surveys, and analysis and identification of samples. Also includes laboratory aprons and smocks, safety and protective clothing.

    21600 - Office supplies-DGCA
    General office supplies, stationery, faxing and microfilming supplies, printed forms, miscellaneous office supplies, etc. Does not include internal charges for printing or copying. Office supplies are allowable for direct or pass-through Federal or State of New Jersey (SNJ) awards if they are explicitly budgeted, justified and approved in the project proposal. Only two Federal agencies, NSF and NIH, will allow rebudgeting of these expenses, under expanded authority, if the amounts are significant and they can be attributed to and directly benefit the award. This latter type must be clearly justified and documented in a memo submitted to the DGCA for approval, prior to incurring any expense.

    21800 - Computer software
    Non-capitalized project-specific computer software. General purpose software like Lotus, Excel, Word Perfect etc. are not chargeable to specific grants and contracts unless explicitly budgeted, justified and approved in the project proposal.

    21900 - Project supplies-DGCA
    Consumable items needed specifically to carry out a project. Examples would include specimen bags, non-food field supplies, specialty clothing and equipment, identification tools and markers, reference materials, cataloging materials etc.

  4. Can I use a foreign air carrier when booking travel?
    When utilizing federal and state grant funds, only domestic air carriers may be used, regardless of the cost factor.
  5. What is Cost Sharing and when does it need to be done?

    Cost sharing or matching funds are expenses that relate to a project that are not funded by the sponsor. SEBS/NJAES policy dictates that all cost sharing is fulfilled by above-the-line salaries only.

    It is mandatory to set up cost sharing via commitment accounting at the beginning of the grant period.

    For cost sharing funded by a non-state account, a journal entry needs to be prepared to transfer the funds into the assigned account. Transactions, both above and below the line, may be charged directly to this account during the time frame of the grant.

    Go to and Procedures For Cost Sharing on Sponsored Programs 01-03-2000.pdf for more detail.

  6. Can I transfer expenses onto a grant from other accounts?
    Expenses can be moved onto a grant within 90 days of the expenses being incurred. If it is necessary to transfer an expense after 90 days has passed, it is necessary to provide a justification as to why the transaction was delayed. Please go to for more detail.
  7. How do I transfer expenses to/from a grant when it has been more than 90 days past the grants end date?

    For non-personnel expenses, departments must complete a DGCA Late Cost Transfer Request form found at DGCA Forms and enter a justification explaining why the requested adjustments were not processed within the 90 day closeout period after the award end date (Note: this form must be signed by the Principal Investigator).

    Once the form is completed, departments must request a Late Cost Transfer through the online IPAS portal. Scroll to bottom of electronic form and upload your completed Late Cost Request form and enter all approver names and email addresses then select the Submit button. You will receive an email notification from DGCA stating whether your request has been approved or denied.

    For personnel expenses, you must submit an SWRJ. Ensure that you check off the "Grant Funded" field on the SWRJ form.

Journal Entries

  1. Where can I locate the journal entry templates?
    Journal entry templates are available at the RIAS Forms page.
  2. How do I prepare a journal entry?
    See the Journal Entries Tutorial (278k PDF).
  3. What do I do if my template is not working/uploading correctly?

    First, check the RIAS home page to ensure your Internet Explorer settings are in line with the recommended settings:

    • Go to Internet Explorer » Internet Options
    • Click the Security Tab
    • Click "Custom Level"
    • Scroll down to the "Scripting" field, and select "Enable" in each of the radio buttons under this field. Click "OK" once done.
    • Click "Apply"
    • Note: If none of the above work, contact the RIAS GL Team at
  4. Who will review and approve my journal entries?
    Your OFBA accountant will be your approver. View list containing all OFBA accountants.
  5. How do I modify or delete a journal entry?
    If a Journal has been rejected, you must go into RIAS Notifications in your Worklist and SELECT the Journal which was rejected, not the notification that it was submitted for approval. Click on ENTER JOURNALS (far left). Click UNRESERVE FUNDS, which must be done in order to modify a Journal. Click OK at Transaction Box. Click on JOURNALS on far left side, then click on the DELETE icon (look for a red X on the toolbar). Click Yes at the Decision Box, and then click the SAVE icon on the toolbar to save this change in the system.
  6. How do I obtain my journal entry number?
    The journal entry number can be located after the journal entry is uploaded at the "All notifications" page in RIAS.
  7. How do I prepare a Plant Fund Journal?
    A Plant Fund Journal is different only in the fact that the Fund Group, which is the first two digits of the segment, must be changed from 00 to 07 for Plant Funds with an account number starting with 778 or 779. For Plant Funds with an account number starting with 771, a 17 must be used. Fund Group 00 is used for all accounts other than Plant Fund accounts.
  8. What backup is required for a journal entry?

    Documentation showing how the expense was charged to the original account is necessary. This can be a FACS or Discoverer report that includes the voucher number (VN) or document number.

    If a RIAS document is being moved, we also need a copy of the purchase order detail screen which details the fund source (account), natural account, department activity 1 (project), department activity 2 (subcode) and item purchased OR you can include the Requisition Distributions Detail report found in RIAS (Procurement report section).

    For a non-RIAS document, a screen shot of the FACS document is needed to verify what department activity 1 (project) and/or department activity 2 (subcode) was originally charged OR a copy of the original document (TABER, Travel Order, Travel Advance or Billhead) can be used.

    Attaching supporting documentation electronically to the journal entry is recommended.

Procurement (Purchase Orders)

  1. What is the difference between each type of purchase order?
    See Procurement's website detailing the different types of purchase orders.
  2. How do I prepare a requisition and obtain a purchase order?
    See Procurement's "How to" guide to process all types of requisitions.
  3. What documentation should I generally provide with my requisition?
    A quote or pro-forma invoice must be attached to the requisition. A purchase order is not a payment tool, as such invoices for products and services previously provided is not an acceptable form of support.
  4. How can I purchase the services of a consultant/contractor?

    See the "Professional Services" section of the Procurement website for guidance and the applicable forms to purchase these type of services.

  5. Which natural account should I use to classify my product/service?

    A listing of natural accounts can be found at the University Controller's website within the document titled, "COA Segment Values"

  6. How do I process a pre-payment?
    See Procurement's website "How to" on initiating a prepayment.
  7. Who needs to review and approve a purchase order that requires signing a lease?
    If a supplier requires that a lease, contract, or quote be signed contact procurement as soon as possible to review and negotiate any terms and conditions. As such, this type of requisition should be submitted as a goods or service request, not a quick order.
  8. How is an internal purchase order different than a regular purchase order?
    Within RU Marketplace, you can procure goods and services from other university service units, such as Dining Services. A complete list of active internal suppliers is available on RU Marketplace, accessible through MyRutgers Portal. Departments must contact the internal department directly to determine the required type of requisition. We issue internal purchase orders for these Rutgers goods and services. See details on how to prepare an IPO on Procurement's website under, "Make a Purchase."
  9. I want to purchase an item over $5,000 and use a specific vendor since they have the best expertise and/or are the most competitively priced. What do I need to do?
    Prior to purchase, you must fully complete the "Request for Single/Sole Source Form" found on the Procurement's website. This form must be attached to a SciQuest goods or service request. Procurement will review and make the final determination. If the purchase is greater than $100,000 signature of a vice president in respective area is required.
  10. Are there any goods and services that are restricted and/or need special approvals?
    A listing of goods and services can be found on Procurement's website. View each category for any restrictions on your purchase.
  11. How do I cancel a purchase order or change the quantity ordered on a purchase order (i.e., COR)?
    To cancel a purchase order, utilize the "PO Line Close/Cancel" form within the change order form on SciQuest. To change the quantity of a purchase order, use the "PO Line Modification" form.
  12. How can I order products from
    While Rutgers has a business account with Amazon, you should first go on RU Marketplace and use a contracted vendor if possible. Use Amazon only when they offer more favorable pricing or when you can't find a vendor on RU Marketplace for the goods you need. See the Procurement Process document for guidance on establishing a corporate account and ordering products.

State and Federal Appropriations

  1. What can I charge to my multi-state (2-670xx) account?
    Examples of allowable expenses are research supplies (21500 not 21000), below-the-line wages (example: students working on specific project), travel expense to attend the multi state annual meeting (email invitation to meeting must accompany the TABER), travel for data collection at research site allowable if it meets the project criteria. Travel to attend a meeting to present research results is not allowed. No administrative expenses are allowed. See attachment to your Budget Letter (RBL) for Guidelines for allowable expenditures.


  1. Where can I locate the TABER template?
    The TABER template is available on the RIAS Forms page.
  2. Can I purchase a product that my department urgently needs now and seek reimbursement on a TABER
    Purchases that are for an extreme emergency are allowed, however if the item is more than $500 you must contact Exec Director of Procurement Services for approval. If approved, send the TABER to your OFBA accountant.
  3. What documentation do I need to provide if I am seeking per diem on my TABER?
    When meals are requested on a TABER, the time of departure and return must be clearly indicated on the face sheet. It is also mandatory to include the conference itinerary, and if any meals are provided at the conference, the appropriate percentage must be deducted from the daily per diem rate. If the per diem method is chosen for meal reimbursement, it must be used for the entire trip. The per diem tables for both domestic and foreign travel can be found at the travel website. Click on "Meal Per Diem Options" box on the lower right side of the webpage to access the tables. A copy of the per diem rate used MUST be attached to your TABER to substantiate the rate used.
  4. Can I still submit a TABER for reimbursement if I have lost my receipt and/or I only have a copy?
    You must request a duplicate receipt from the provider. Submit it, if received, with proof of payment. A Lost Receipt Certification Form must be completed, whether or not a duplicate could be obtained. This form is available at Look under section "Getting Reimbursed", Lost Receipt Form
  5. How would I process a $500 TABER (non-travel related)? How do I get reimbursed for an out-of-pocket purchase over $500?
    • Before considering a TABER, you should add your vendor to the RIAS procurement system by using the appropriate RIAS Forms (i.e., New/Update Supplier Request Supplier and W-9 Form). These forms can be obtained from the RIAS Forms page.
    • Use RIAS procurement system to process a requisition with the newly established vendor.
    • Ideally, you should not have a non-travel expense of any amount on a TABER.
  6. What do I need to do if I was unable to submit my TABER within 60 days?
    • 60-day letter should be addressed to the dean, however it should be sent to the business office.
    • Business office will obtain any additional signatures (i.e., executive dean if necessary)
      • General format for a 60-day letter should include:
        • Traveler name
        • Reason for delay
        • Chair signature
        • "Not enough time" is not an appropriate reason for delay.
  7. What is an acceptable form for proof of payment?
    • When receipts are available, no other proof of payment is required. The receipt should have the following information to be acceptable: name of the vendor, transaction date, detailed description of what you bought, and amount paid and form of payment.
    • Proof of payment (credit card statement/bank statement or cleared check) is only required if the receipt doesn't have the following information: name of the vendor, transaction date, detailed description of what you bought, amount paid and form of payment.
      • However, if the charge relates to a hotel or airline ticket, it must have the travelers name on the receipt.
  8. Are there any general guidelines that I can use when preparing a TABER?
    See section "Getting Reimbursed" at for the TABER checklist.
  9. How do I submit a TABER for foreign travel with receipts in another language?
    Each receipt must have an English translation and be clearly identified with the date, amount paid, vendor's name and an explanation of the charge. Convert foreign dollars using the Oanda Currency Converter found on the travel website or submit your credit card statement, which should show both foreign and US dollars charged. If using Oanda, include the copy showing the calculation. The per diem options for foreign cities can also be found on this website if receipts are not used. All the other rules for domestic travel and TABER submissions apply. These TABERs will be sent to the program deans for IDR, Research & Extension for their signatures. Pre-approval is advised.
  10. I need to be reimbursed for an expense that includes my supervisor. Who approves this?
    Your supervisor cannot approve this TABER. It must be approved at the next level (your supervisor's supervisor).
  11. Can a family member share a hotel room during a conference?
    Yes. However, it must be documented that the rate was the same for one or two people. The duration of the stay must also be within university guidelines.
  12. What if my spouse stays in the same hotel room with me for a business trip, but the cost of a double room at my hotel is not the same as a single room?
    You can only be reimbursed for the single room rate. You are personally responsible to pay the difference in rate for the additional charge. The single room rate must be documented and submitted with your TABER.
  13. When can "change fees" for airline reservations be reimbursed?
    If there is a Rutgers business purpose and justification for the change fee, it is reimbursable. This must be clearly explained on the TABER.
  14. What is considered "Travel Status"?
    A person is in "Travel Status" when they are away from their worksite for a period of at least 12 hours or more than 100 miles from their place of residence or official work site.
    Definitions of Travel Status can be found in the Travel policy in two locations. Within the University Policy click on box "University Travel Policy Guidelines, Section 40.4.1" and scroll down to section I.7. Travel Status is also explained in the definitions section at the end of this same policy.
  15. Is my credit card receipt sufficient for meal reimbursement?

    Employees must submit itemized original receipts with proof of payment for all meals to be reimbursed. The cardholder's copy of the meal receipt, without itemization of the meal will be accepted, however, the receipts must include the provider's name and date, the name(s) of any other person included on the bill, and the purpose of the meeting. Also, if state or federal sources are being used to cover the expenses, a statement must be included that no alcohol is included in this receipt.

    Detailed information on meal expenses can be found in the University Travel Policy. Click on box "University Travel Policy Guidelines, Section 40.4.1" and scroll down to section I.7.

  16. Where can I find information on moving/relocation for new employees?
    Detailed information can be found in the University Policy Library. Click on Table of Contents in "Links" at right, select Section 60.1 ""Universitywide HR Policies & Procedures" and scroll down to 60.1.6
  17. What natural account can be used for travel expenses?

    For domestic travel on 4-xxxxx accounts, use 35200. This includes travel to Canada and Mexico.

    For foreign travel on 4-xxxxx accounts, use 35300.

    All other accounts use 35000 regardless of whether it is domestic or foreign travel.

  18. I am taking a business trip with a co-worker. We are sharing expenses including lodging and driving to the meeting location together. Is there any special handling necessary for reimbursement of my expenses?
    You can be reimbursed for the room cost for you and your co-worker, provided that you have an itemized paid receipt in your name. You must include the name of your co-worker and the business justification for the trip. If you drove your own car, you are entitled to reimbursement for your mileage. You are also entitled to your own meal per diem only. You cannot be reimbursed for your co-workers meal per diem. Your co-worker would need to ask for his/her own meal per diem on a separate TABER and include an explanation on his/her TABER that lodging and transportation was paid for by you.
  19. I am a faculty member and I have given permission to a student or to a group of students to attend a conference. In order to simplify the reimbursement process, what information can I give my students prior to taking the trip?

    Please have your students review the SEBS Business Office TABER Checklist (19k PDF).

  20. If I am traveling to a meeting site straight from my home and it is at a different location than my office, how much mileage will I be reimbursed?

    Transportation to temporary official work stations or sites (*it applies to any meeting places under 100 miles one way or travel time less than 12 hours a day) shall be reimbursed on the basis of the total travel cost from home to the temporary work site, less the total normal travel costs from home to the official work site.


    1. If normal commute is 20 miles, traveler is requesting 100 miles, and they would be allowed 80 miles.
    2. If normal commute is 20 miles, traveler is requesting 15 miles, and they are not eligible for reimbursement.
    3. If the employee is attending whole day meeting and driving directly from home, the mileage allows for reimbursement will = Total trip mileage less the total NORMAL roundtrip travel mileage from home to work.

      *Additionally, If commuting from home to temporary work site(s), and then from temporary work site to the official work site, the reimbursable mileage = total mileage traveled minus the normal commute from home to the official work site.

    *If the meeting place is over 100 miles from home or travel time is more than 12 hours, an individual is in "travel status", therefore, the mileage allowed for reimbursement will be from home to the meeting site.

  21. What constitutes travel status when traveling in-state?
    In order to be reimbursed for meals when traveling in state, an individual needs to be in travel status. This means that an individual needs to be in travel status for more than 12 hours or travel more than 100 miles from the office (one way).
  22. What are examples of non-compliance on a TABER?

    Examples of Noncompliance:

    • Missing an appropriate Rutgers business justification.
    • TABERs that were approved by a subordinate.
    • Expenses that are not Rutgers business-related.
    • Charging alcohol on state, federal, or grant accounts.
    • Requesting reimbursement for meals already included in the cost of conference/meeting fees.
    • Requesting reimbursement at a higher mileage rate than allowed by the University for use of personal vehicle.
    • Seeking reimbursement for mileage and gas expense concurrently.
    • Seeking reimbursement for a spouse or family member's travel costs.
    • Transportation to temporary official work stations or sites (it applies to any meeting places under 100 miles one way) shall be reimbursed on the basis of the total travel cost from home to the temporary work site, less the total normal travel costs from home to the official work site.
    • Seeking reimbursement for items that are a matter of personal convenience (i.e., Taking supervisor/colleague out for coffee).

    Note: This is not a comprehensive list of noncompliance items.

  23. I need to replace an expensive piece of equipment while on travel status (over $500.00). How do I get reimbursed for an out-of-pocket purchase over $500?

    If you need to replace an expensive piece of equipment (i.e., laptop/tablet) while in travel status due to it being lost or broken, you must obtain approval via email from Stanley Makarevic, Director of Purchasing and Strategic Sourcing ( Please attach the email approving the exception to your TABER before sending the TABER to the Business Office for processing.


  1. How is effort certificate reporting technology training important at Rutgers?

    ECRT is effort reporting that is a federally-mandated process of providing assurance to sponsors. This ensures that salaries that are charged to a sponsored program are reasonable in relation to the work performed, and faculty and staff have met their commitments to sponsored programs.

    Most financial/business administrators are effort coordinators. Principal Investigators (PI's) are responsible for completing the certification cards. The coordinators are responsible for processing the certification effort report cards for their respective departments.

    Please see the Effort Certification tutorial. You will need to enter your Rutgers NetID and Password to view the tutorial.

  2. What is the primary function of the business office?
  3. What are my (department) responsibilities?
  4. What are the universities responsibilities?

Travel Orders

  1. How do I obtain the Rutgers travel order form?
    You may obtain the online travel order form at:
  2. Do I need to enter my travel order into FACS after entering it into the online travel order form?
    Yes, enter the travel order into FACS after submitting the online form.
  3. Which natural account should I use to classify my travel?
    For travel on state, federal, gift, and discretionary fund sources, uses natural account 35000. For travel on grant accounts, use natural account 35200 for domestic travel and 35300 for international travel. For complete listing of travel-related natural accounts, visit the Grant and Contract Accounting website.
  4. What supporting documentation do I need to provide to the business office?

    You will need to provide:

    • The travel order form signed by the preparer and department chair
    • Conference agenda or itinerary
  5. Can I use a foreign air carrier when booking travel?
    When utilizing federal and state grant funds, only domestic air carriers may be used, regardless of the cost factor.