Welcome to the Rutgers University world of Buzz Words and Acronyms. The following list of buzz words and acronyms should add more transparency to your new role and allow you to be better informed.
- AES - Agricultural Experiment Station
ARRA - American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
- Also known as Stimulus Funds
- Billhead - FACS generated document used to pay employees for items that normally don't flow through payroll (i.e., royalties, human subject fees).
- Budget letter - mechanism used to distribute budget dollars to departments and centers.
BR Code - Budget Responsibility Code
- a unique 3 digit alpha-numeric code assigned by the University
- also known as BRC
- COR Form - Change Order Form
- Department Activity 1 (project) - A unique 5-digit number assigned by the NJAES Office. The first two digits are the department number and the third digit indicates the funding source. This number is used to track expenditures for federal reporting purposes.
- Department Activity 2 (subcode)
- In FACS, this is a 3-digit code that allows a bookkeeper to track transactions within a fund source.
- DGCA - Division of Grant and Contract Accounting
- Discoverer - University reporting tool for financial information as of July 1, 2006.
- EPS - Extension and Public Service
EBRC - Extended Budget Responsibility Code
- a unique 9 digit alpha-numeric code that allows a specific department or center to access their information in the University system.
F&A - Facilities and Administrative Costs
- Expenditures incurred by the University to support research programs which are difficult to itemize and charge directly to a specific grant
- Facility type of expenditures; electricity, heating/cooling, equipment depreciation
- Administrative type of expenses: accounting, payroll, libraries
- The University negotiates a rate with the federal government
- Previously known as indirect costs
- Rate fluctuates. Current and past rates can be found at postaward.rutgers.edu/grant-management/chart-facilities-and-administrative-cost-rates
FACS - Financial Accounting Control System
- Internal campus-wide accounting system used by the departments as a bookkeeping tool and by the Administration as a management tool
- Password required
Fringe Benefits - composite rate charged to non-state fund sources to allow the University to recoup expenditures for benefits given to employees (i.e., medical benefits, FICA and Medicare)
- Current and past rates found at postaward.rutgers.edu/grant-management/chart-fringe-benefit-rates
- Hatch funds - federal research dollars available to the NJAES
- ICR - Indirect Cost Recovery
- IDR - Instruction and Departmental Research
- Indirect costs - see F&A
- IPO - Internal purchase order
- McIntyre-Stennis funds - federal research and cooperative extension dollars available to the NJAES
- Natural account - expense and revenue codes used to categorize transactions.
- NJAES - New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station
- Org ID - a unique five-digit code assigned to a unit by the University
- ORSP - Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
- Purchase order - a legal document that describes what is being purchased. Each purchase order has a unique number to allow for tracking.
- RCE - Rutgers Cooperative Extension
- Report view - Used to access reports under the University's former system. Currently used for landline charges for service and toll calls (TE references found in FACS and Discoverer). Password required.
- Requisition - an unapproved purchase order
RIAS - Rutgers Integrated Administrative System
- University-wide, integrated web-based administrative system
- Phase 1 - P2P (Procure to Pay) - Internet procurement
- Phase 2 - General ledger, journal entry, Discoverer (reports)
- Phase 3 - HCM (Human Capital Management) - Personnel and Payroll
- Password required
- Salary and Wage Redistribution and Justification Form - Used to transfer salaries and wages from a given point in time and forward
- SBR - Separately Budgeted Research
- SEBS - School of Environmental and Biological Sciences
- TABERS - Travel and Business Expense Reports
- Travel advance - a monetary advance given to an employee two weeks prior to the start of a business trip.
- Travel order - a purchase order specifically for airfare and train fare. For University approved vendors only.
- Unmatched Actuals - A FACS specific term referring to transactions posted to the system that didn't automatically match to an existing document.
WebFACS - Web-based version of FACS for Reporting only
- Useful to bookkeepers and faculty
- Password required